Bidvertise

November 28, 2014

Sage & Olive Oil Buttercream

I realize that this may sound like a strange combination, but I think that's why I wanted to try it.  I was making Randy's blueberry cake for her birthday and I didn't want to put plain old buttercream icing on top (even though I love the stuff).  So I decided to get creative.  The flavours are very mellow; you get the slightest taste of herb cutting into the sweetness.  So, without further ado, here's the recipe!

Sage & Olive Oil Buttercream Icing

1 cup of butter, softened to room temperature
4 cups of icing sugar, sifted to remove any lumps
2 tablespoons of sage infused olive oil (directions below)
3 tablespoons of milk

Using a mortar and pestle, I muddled approximately a tablespoon of torn sage leaves with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  I then poured the mixture into a mason jar and let it infuse for a full day before making the icing.



Using a small strainer, I filtered out the sage leaves so that there would be no leaves in the icing.  Once it was time to make the icing, I simply replaced my usual tablespoon of vanilla and one of the tablespoons of milk with my two tablespoons of infused oil.



*Note: The oil does not affect the texture of the icing.

The end result is a nice fluffy, mildy flavoured, interesting icing.  Delicious!


I love trying new flavours.  Tried anything different lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment