Bidvertise

February 6, 2015

Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk

I am a huge fan of almond milk, but it is extremely expensive and filled with so many unnecessary ingredients.  So, I finally learned how to make my own!

Ingredients:
1 cup of almonds, soaked overnight
3 1/2 cups of filtered water
2 medjool dates, soaked for 10-15 minutes (See Note 1)
1 tsp. of vanilla (See Note 1)
Cheesecloth, or a nut milk bag

Short ingredient list, right?

Directions:
1.  Soak 1 cup of almonds in water overnight
2.  Soak 2 medjool dates in water for 10 - 15 minutes.  Once soaked, remove the pits.
3.  Place all ingredients in a blender (See Note 2) and blend on high for about 1 minutes. You will know that you  have blended long enough if you are no longer seeing large pieces of almonds in the blender.
4.  Strain the milk and refrigerate in an airtight glass container.  The milk will keep for 5 days.

Drink up and enjoy!!

Note 1: If you want plain, unsweetened milk to cook with, eliminate the dates and the vanilla.  If you want chocolate almond milk, add 1/2 Tbsp of cocoa or raw cacao powder.

Note 2:  I don't believe that you need a fancy, high powered blender to make nut milk.  While a Vitamix or Blendtec is every foodie's dream, I am still using the same $30 blender I bought when I was in university.  I will probably buy something more powerful when this one wears out, but I have honestly had no problems with it.  I have been making my own almond milk for over a year with this blender, and it works perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment