Bidvertise

January 20, 2015

Joe Fresh 5 Piece Chubby Eye Shadow Set

This eye crayon set was released for Christmas, retailing for $10, and my local Superstore still has tons of these in stock.

Now that Christmas has passed, Superstore is clearing these out for $4.94.  For less than $1 per crayon, I had to give these a try.  The set contains black, shimmering gold, green, blue and purple and, although they are called eye shadow crayons, they are really just jumbo liners.  

I swatched each color and then smudged them out, just to see the opacity.  Upon first swipe they appear quite nice, but they blend out to an extremely pale, sheer shade. 

I tested the purple one as a liner, wearing it for about 12 hours.  It is not super pigmented to begin with, but it and it did fade quite a lot by the end of the day.  I think that these would be good liners for short outings, but not for long nights out, unless they were set with a powder.


My final test was to use the liner as a base for eye shadow.  Disclaimer: I have VERY oily eyelids, and shadows will crease very quickly on me, unless I use a base and setting spray.  I did not do either of those things when testing this crayon, so I expected major creasing.  After 11 hours, at work, I did have pretty bad creasing, but not as bad as I would have had if I had worn the shadow alone. 


I actually really liked it as a base for shadow, as it blended well along my eyelid and really seemed to intensify the color of my shadow.  For $4.94 (plus tax), I think that these were actually a pretty good purchase.  I will probably use the green, blue and purple ones to line underneath my eyes for a little pop of color, and I will definitely use all of them to intensify  the pigment of other shadows.  I can't see wearing these all over the lids by themselves, but they definitely have a place in my make up collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment